2021-2022 College Catalog 
    Mar 27, 2023  
2021-2022 College Catalog

Academic Policies and Procedures


The Office of Academic Records is the official custodian of student records and the keeper of the college seal. The general functions of the College Registrar are to assist in planning and executing academic policies and programs; provide for administration of policies and regulations pertaining to the academic status of students; provide for planning and executing orderly registration and graduation of students; submit semester schedule of classes and final examination schedules; and is responsible for the confidentiality, integrity, and security of student records.

The specific responsibilities of the office are to collect and maintain academic information; conduct registration for regular degree-seeking and non-degree seeking students; process the graduation of degree-seeking students; process change of grades and acceptance of transfer credits; prepare and distribute transcripts; maintain accurate academic, historical, biographical and directory information; provide information and data for use and review by academic divisions, planning and research units, and other authorized personnel and agencies.


The College’s registration policies and procedures, including final examination schedules, are published on the College Web Site, www.miles.edu.

Registration. Dates are listed on the college calendar located on the Web site. Students are responsible for complying with all regulations governing registration, change-of-schedule (drop/add), tuition payment, and other requirements described either in this bulletin or advised by the administration otherwise. Every registrant must create a class schedule with a faculty advisor at the time and place designated.

Web Registration. Degree seeking students are encouraged to take advantage of the College’s web registration system via Bear’s Den. Students are able to register for classes from home or anywhere in the world. Students may consult the schedule of course offerings and the Web Site at www.miles.edu for detailed instructions.

Registration in Saturday Module Courses. Weekend courses are available for students who seek alternative times and are generally employed. Students registering for courses offered during the Saturday modules must follow the calendar schedule designed for those specific courses. Courses begin and end outside the regular semester schedule (i.e., the first day of class, number of absentees allowed, and drop and withdrawal dates vary). Although registration for these courses is required during the normal College schedule, enrollment in these courses may require the student’s attendance at a time before or after residential housing is available. Students should determine their ability to attend these courses before adding them to their schedule. All courses offered during the weekend modules are available to students on the regular fall or spring course schedule (see major paradigm).

Student Records

Miles College will comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment - 20 U.S.C. - 123g - of 1974.

Pursuant to FERPA requirements, some personal directory information may be released to third parties by Miles College without the prior consent of a student unless the student files a written request with the Office of Academic Records to restrict directory information access.

The Registrar has been designated as the FERPA officer for the College. Further information about policy and procedures with respect to the privacy of student records may be obtained from the Office of Academic Records.

Location and Use of Education Records

Admission records are located in the Office of Admissions and Enrollment, Bell Building.

Cumulative academic records are located in the Office of Academic Records, Brown Hall.

Financial aid records are located in the Office of Financial Aid, Brown Hall.

Records pertaining to student financial services, tuition, and fees are located in the Business Office, Brown Hall.

College-based testing records are located in the Testing and Assessment Center, Student Norton Building.

Graduation records and transcripts verifying attendance are located in the Office of Academic Records, Brown Hall.

Disability records are located in the Counseling Center with the Student Accommodation Services Counselor, Student Norton Building.

All custodians of a student’s education records and other College employees/agents may not disclose any information to third parties without the student’s prior written consent.

Please contact the Office of Academic Records at 205.929.1422 if you have questions or need additional information.

Change of Address or Name. Prior to officially being admitted to the College, changes in address or name or other personal information should be made in the Office of Admissions. Once the student becomes a registered student, or anytime thereafter, changes should be made in the Office of Academic Records. Appropriate documentation may be required to verify some changes.

Registration Requirements and Procedures

Registration Holds. A student may be placed on hold based on a variety of financial and administrative reasons. Students are notified of these holds prior to each registration period and should clear them before being allowed to register. Please see the appropriate department for more details pertaining to holds.

Auditing Course(s). A student may register to audit a course(s) on a space available basis. Admission to the College is not required and no credit will be given for audited courses. Registration for audit may not be changed from audit to credit, or vice versa, after the first day of class.

Cancellation of Registration. The College may cancel the registration of a student whose registration fees have not been paid in full by the deadline. Students whose registration is canceled may apply for reinstatement but must do so before the published deadline. Cancellation, however, does not include students who have received approved deferred payment status, financial aid, (i.e., scholarships, veterans deferments, third party billings, etc.) from the Business Office. Students whose registration is canceled are not liable for registration fees for the applicable term.

Students who on their own decision not to attend the College prior to the first day of class MUST take the necessary steps to assure cancellation of their registration.

Students who cancel their registration on or after the first day of class must do so by withdrawing from the College. This process CANNOT be done on the website. Applicable fees may incur depending on the date. See Withdrawal.

Reinstatement of Cancelled Registration. Students whose registration has been canceled due to their failure to pay registration fees may be reinstated upon the verification of payment and approval of the Dean of Academic Affairs.

Class Schedule Changes (Add/Drop). No courses can be added after the date stipulated in the calendar for making changes. Exceptions after the calendar date require the consent of the Dean of Academic Affairs.

Curriculum Changes. The student should expect to obtain the degree as outlined in the catalog of the year in which they formally declare a major program. If there is no break in enrollment, a student who has taken and passed the prescribed program of courses each term should expect to obtain a degree normally in eight semesters (unless the program indicates otherwise).

Any other student may be required to spend a longer time and may be required to meet any added requirements introduced in the curriculum, including grade point averages or the number of credit hours required. To keep in line with occasional changes in certification requirements, the curriculum of one or several divisions or departments may change; such changes may extend the normal time of course requirements for a degree. See also Statute of Limitation .

Students are expected to consult with their academic advisor or division chair throughout their enrollment in selecting courses.

Course Load. The normal full-time load for a student is 15 credit hours. However, some of the divisions have a maximum or minimum load which is stated in the respective curriculum sections of this catalog.

For the Fall and Spring semesters, students are full-time if they are enrolled in 12-18 hours. Students are permitted to take 19 hours with the required GPA, additional fees will be applied. Hours above 19 are considered exceptional on the undergraduate level and may be recommended to the Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs on an individual basis by the division chairperson.

Although 12 hours is considered full-time, students taking more than 9 hours during the summer term should consult with their faculty advisors and consider the comprehensive scheduling of summer courses. Hours above 12 are considered exceptional during the summer and may be recommended to the Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs on an individual basis by the division chairperson, additional fees will be applied.

All students who are recipients of scholarships or participants in special programs may be required to maintain a full-time load as required by that program. The minimum load for full-time benefits for the Veterans Administration is 12 credit hours, athletic participant and residence housing is 12 credit hours and an academic scholarship is 15 credit hours.

Major and Minor Disciplines

A student must meet all the requirements for a degree in order to fulfill a “major.” The major must meet the approval of the division in which it is earned and recommended to the Registrar for final awarding. Courses considered in satisfying the “minor” must be approved by the division chairperson and Registrar. The same course may not satisfy both a major and minor requirement.

Major Discipline. Students who are degree-seeking must declare a major discipline. Students must formally declare a major by their sophomore year and must fulfill all the requirements of the major in order to obtain a degree. Students may declare a major by completing the Declaration of Major form with the advisor and the Advising Center. See Transfer to Major.

Minor Discipline. Students who wish to declare a minor must formally declare by completing the minor form. Minors in a discipline require the completion of a minimum of 18 hours that have been outlined by the division. Students may confer with their advisor and the Advising Center regarding the declaration of a minor and the required courses.

Transfer to Major Program of Study

Students who decide to transfer from one major to another must follow the Transfer to Major process and will be expected to follow the curriculum based on the transfer catalog year which may differ from their catalog year at enrollment. See Advising Center Policy and Procedure Manual.

Classification of Students

Freshman 0 to 29 hours
Sophomore 30 - 59 hours
Junior 60 - 89 hours
Senior 90 and above

Academic Standing

In order to remain in good academic standing, a student must, at the end of any term, have a cumulative grade point average of:

Attempted Hours Minimum GPA Required
0 - 29 1.60
30 - 59 1.80
60 - 89 2.00
90 and above 2.00

A student, whose course work becomes deficient, below a “C” average, is notified by mid-term.

Some academic majors require a greater than 2.00 GPA for graduation. See Academic Division.

Warning. Students are placed on warning any first term in which the cumulative GPA is less than the required minimum as indicated above.

Probation. Students are placed on probation at the end of any term following a semester of academic “warning” when the cumulative GPA falls below the above requirement. Students on probation are limited to a course load of 12 credit hours during the regular semester.

Suspension (1-term) (SQ). Students are placed on “suspension” at the end of any term following a semester of “probation” when the cumulative GPA falls below the above requirement and will be suspended through one regular semester (may not attend a prior summer term). Students who return from suspension will be placed on probation (not on warning) and are limited to an enrollment of 12 hours.

Suspension (1-year) (SY). Students returning from suspension and are unable to clear their academic deficiency at the end of that term will be suspended for two regular semesters (may not attend a prior summer term).

Grading System

All credits are recorded in semester hours. A semester hour is the amount of credit earned for satisfactory completion of one hour a week of lecture and active engagement activities or for one to two hours of laboratory per week, throughout one semester.

The system of grading is based on the letters A, B, C, D, F, FA, I, P, S, U, CR, W, WA, WD, NA, and IP. The significance of these letters is as follows:

Grade Scholastic Value Grade Points
A Excellent 4
B Good 3
C Average 2
D Poor 1
F Failure 0
FA Failure to Attend 0
I Incomplete 0
P Passed 0
S Satisfactory 0
U Unsatisfactory 0
CR Credit 0
W Withdrawn from Course 0
WA Withdrawn Administratively 0
WD Withdrawn from College 0
NA Never Attended 0
IP In Progress 0

Grade of ‘F’ Defined.

Students may receive a grade of “F” for one of the following reasons:

  • F - Failure to perform at academic standards.
  • FA - Failure of the student to attend class on a regular basis.

Course Repeats/Forgiveness Policy. Students may improve their GPA by repeating a course in which a grade of “D” or “F” was earned. Repeating a “C” grade is not recommended. Only the grade and grade points received in the second attempt shall be used to forgive the first grade. All attempts beginning with the second attempt shall be used in computing the student’s cumulative grade point average. All attempts for a given course and all grades will remain on the student’s transcript.

A student earning a grade of “D” in a general education course may be allowed to repeat the course to raise the GPA. (an exception of “C” grade is required for EN 102 , FYA 101 , and developmental courses). A student earning a grade of “D” in a major course must repeat the course until a grade of “C” or better is earned. A student earning a grade of “F” in any required course must repeat the course until a grade of “C” or better is earned.

For additional information regarding the Forgiveness Policy, contact the Office of Academic Records at 205.929.1422.

Change of Grade Request

Ordinarily, the instructor of a course has the sole and final responsibility for any grade reported. Once the grade has been reported to the Registrar, it may be changed upon the authorization of the instructor who issued the original grade, the division chair and the Dean of Academic Affairs. This policy also applies to the grade of “I” (incomplete).

Change of Grade form receives approval by the division chair (or designee) and the Dean of Academic Affairs. Once approvals are received, the new grade will be reflected on the student’s transcript immediately.

Incomplete Grades (“I”). All “Incomplete” grades must be removed within a calendar year from the semester term that it was received. However, students are strongly encouraged to remove “I” grades before the end of the next regular semester (Fall or Spring) so not to interrupt their paradigm or fulfill a pre-requisite requirement. The “I” grade is assigned only when a student is unable to complete course requirements because of illness or other justifiable circumstances. The student must have completed satisfactorily the major portion of the course requirements and convinced the instructor of their ability to complete the remaining assignments. It is not to be given to a student who is already doing failing work.

Incomplete grades showing on the students’ records will remain until the student repeats the course and passes with a satisfactory grade.

Withdrawal from a Course. A student may withdraw from a course by the published deadline indicated on the College Calendar. Students who withdraw by the deadline will receive a grade of “W” on the course roll. No refund of fees is made.

Students may withdraw online through the deadline date indicated on the College Calendar. STOP: Please review your schedule online to be sure that the course was actually dropped. If you are not certain or need further assistance, please contact the Office of Academic Records.

NOTE: Withdrawal from all courses creates a withdrawal from College and cannot be performed online. See Withdrawal from College.

Withdrawal from a Saturday Module Course. Courses taught on the Saturday and weekend modules follow a monthly schedule designed for those specific courses. The drop or withdrawal date is processed on a monthly basis. Students must drop or withdraw from the course no later than the Tuesday following the second class session. Students withdrawing from the College will be withdrawn from ALL courses during the semester. Modular courses that have been completed with final grade will remain.

Withdrawal Administratively. A student may be administratively withdrawn from a course with fee liability if the student registered for the course without appropriate approval or permission or may not have met the prerequisite.

Should other circumstances require the administrative withdrawal of a student by the Dean of Academic Affairs, such exception may or may not waive financial obligations on the part of the student.

Withdrawal from College

A student who cannot complete the term must formally withdraw from the College. Forms are available in the Office of Academic Records and should be completed with the appropriate signatures. An EXIT interview in the Office of Financial Aid is required. Students may withdraw through the published deadline indicated on the College Calendar. Students may not withdraw from College online.

Attendance Regulations

Class attendance is required. The individual faculty member will clarify on the syllabus the academic performance expectations, which may be affected by attendance. Students whose frequent absence is predictive of unsatisfactory academic performance may be referred to the Counseling Center and/or Retention Specialist.

The student is responsible for arranging makeup work with the instructor. Make-up work is not automatic and the student should give the instructor prior notice of an intended excusable absence. Students who may encounter special circumstances, such as illnesses or family emergencies should contact their instructors as soon as possible. In some cases, it may be necessary to contact the Counselor and/or Office of Student Affairs. See Student Handbook .

Students participating in college-sponsored activities are officially absent only based on the schedule of activities. Students are allowed to complete all make-up assignments during official absences immediately before or after an absence, as the instructor requires. The student must initiate the completion of delayed assignments.

Summer Term

Courses offered during the summer term are organized to make them equivalent in content, method, and credit with those of a regular semester.

Transfer of Credits

Students transferring to Miles College should know the following:

  1. Miles College accepts transfer credits earned at institutions that have regional accreditation and in which the student has earned a grade of “D” or higher. Transferrable courses with a grade of “D” will apply to degree requirements the same as continuing students. Students will only receive for credit the maximum hours applied to the course at Miles College.
  2. A maximum of 64 semester hours of credit for courses completed at the freshman and sophomore levels will be allowed from a community/junior college toward degree requirements.
  3. Students who transfer upon completion of the Associate of Arts and Associate of Science programs may be admitted to Miles College and granted junior-level standing in accordance with pre-approved transfer guides with corresponding programs of study (or major). A 2-4 Transfer Articulation Agreement has been approved for students transferring from Alabama community colleges. All other transfer courses will be reviewed based on course descriptions.
  4. A maximum of 90 hours is transferable from a regionally accredited four-year institution.
  5. Prior to Fall 2008, Miles College did not accept credit hours courses that were classified as remedial or developmental. Developmental courses do not satisfy hours toward the degree requirements.
  6. Students ordinarily receive no transfer credit for courses designed specifically for technical and vocational career programs or experiential learning.
  7. Grades earned in transfer courses will show on the permanent record at Miles College from the transfer institution but will not be used in calculating Miles College grade point averages.
  8. Any courses taken for credit at another institution while a student is enrolled at Miles College must have prior written permission of the student’s division and Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs in order for the credit to be accepted toward the fulfillment of degree requirements. See Transient Student.
  9. Students must complete a minimum of 25% of the required degree hours at Miles College (minimum 30 semester hours) to establish residency status. The last 12 semester hours prior to graduation should be taken at the College

Alternative Credit (AP, IP, CLEP)

The College accepts the use of alternative credit for courses for students entering the College for the first time. Students who wish to receive alternative credit for courses must have official score reports and/or transcripts from the source or agency sent to the Office of Academic Records for an official evaluation and awarding of credit. Scores or transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions will be forwarded to the Office of Academic Records. The maximum number of hours that may be used to satisfy credit for courses through alternative credit is 30 hours.

These courses do not affect grade point averages and are evaluated as any other transfer course. Acceptance of advanced placement credits to a specific degree will be determined by the division chair, in consultation with the Registrar. Normally, a score of 3 is accepted; however, some major divisions may require a different score. Contact the Office of Academic Records for additional information.

The College accepts alternative credit for courses from the following entities:
Advanced Placement Scores-The College Board (AP)
International Baccalaureate Organization (IB)
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

NOTE: Credit will be based on evaluation and scores. Not all credit is accepted.

Students entering Miles College for the first time are allowed credit on the Advanced Placement Examination administered by the College Entrance Examination Board. Grades are recorded on the student’s transcript for courses in which advanced placement credit is earned.

Transient Student

A student enrolled at another institution may be enrolled as a transient student at Miles College. The student may secure permission from that institution to enroll at Miles College for one term only. Transient students must submit an application for special admission and a completed Transient Student Form from their parent institution prior to admission. Enrollment as a transient student in no way implies future admission as a regular student at Miles College. (Refer to General Admission Information ).

Students currently enrolled at Miles College who wish to transient to another institution should meet with their major advisors and contact the Office of Academic Records. Students must have pre-approved permission to enroll at another college. The description of courses to be taken at the other college will be evaluated to determine the appropriate equivalent course substitution. Students must obtain the appropriate signature required to transient.

Transient permission is a privilege granted by the College and is not automatic. Advisors may weigh the best interest of the student. Courses outside the general education curriculum will be closely evaluated by the major division. Students may not acquire transient hours that exceed the cumulative allowable transfer hours. Transient permission will only be granted to regionally accredited institutions outside a 25 miles radius of the College. Students in their last semester of enrollment or graduating seniors are not allowed to transient.

See the Office of Academic Records website for additional information governing transient policies and procedures.

BACHE Consortium Program

The Birmingham Area Consortium in Higher Education (BACHE) consists of five (5) institutions in the Birmingham area: the University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham Southern College, Samford University, Montevallo University, and Miles College. Students who are enrolled in one of the institutions may be permitted to enroll at another institution during the current semester. Contact the Office of Academic Records to apply for BACHE.

Miles College students enrolled full-time during the semester, in consultation with their faculty advisor, may register in one BACHE course per semester (not to exceed 12 semester hours cumulatively). Students enrolled during the Summer Term should be registered for a minimum of 6 hours. (Exceptions require the approval of the Office of Academic Affairs).

Enrollment in courses at the host institution is on a space-available basis and the student may not enroll after classes have begun at the host institution. The Miles College student must adhere to the host institution’s policies and procedures governing enrollment in the course (i.e., the drop or withdrawal dates may not be the same as Miles College). It is the student’s responsibility to notify Miles College when they are no longer enrolled in the course. The final grade in the course will be forwarded to the College. BACHE forms must be approved and received in the Registrar’s office no later than 7 business days prior to the first day of class at the host institution.

Graduating seniors or students in their last semester at the College are not permitted to take a BACHE course.

See the Office of Academic Records website for additional information governing BACHE policies and procedures.

Non-Degree Student

A special non-degree student is one who is not pursuing a degree program. Admission may be granted provided the student has a high school diploma or its equivalent. (Refer to General Admission Information ).

The non-degree student is subject to all College regulations governing registration, attendance, and academic standing. The student may not register for more than 12 semester hours during a semester and 9 semester hours during a summer term. Credit earned in non-degree status is recorded on the student’s permanent academic record. Students seeking admission to a degree program must submit a formal application indicating the desired major. Credits may be applied to a degree program when the student satisfactorily meets entrance requirements.

Transcript Request

Requests for copies of transcripts may be made through the National Clearinghouse, mailing requests to the Business Office, or contacting the Office of Academic Records directly. See Financial Information  for cost. 

Graduation Requirements

Students are required to complete a minimum of 120 hours to be awarded a baccalaureate degree at Miles College. To be eligible for a degree, students must complete the required number of hours consistent with the intended program of study.

All students are required to pass the English Proficiency Examination (EPE) prior to being recommended as a prospective graduate.

All students are required to pass the Senior EXIT examination. Students generally take the exam during their senior year, or when content courses are completed, whichever occurs first. Exceptions to this exam requirement may be fulfilled through external examinations for students enrolled in education certification programs (i.e., PRAXIS). Music and Theatre students, respectively, are also required to present exit performances.

Application for Graduation. Application for Completion of Degree Requirements must be submitted immediately prior to or at the beginning of the term in which a student expects to complete all requirements for a degree. The student must apply in his or her major division who will then forward their recommendations to the College Registrar. Application for Graduation is available in the Office of the Academic Records and will only be received from students whose names have been recommended by their division chairperson. The College Calendar designates the deadline dates on which this action must be taken. Applications received after the deadline dates indicated on the College Calendar may be processed with the applications received for graduation the next term. If the student fails to meet graduation requirements, he or she should consult with their division chairperson or the Registrar and reapply for a subsequent term. Reapplication is not automatic. The intent to graduate must be formally submitted.

Students may complete degree requirements at the end of the months of December, May, or June. ALL prospective graduates are required to participate in the once-a-year graduation commencement scheduled during the month of May (see College Calendar) which is scheduled after the completion of requirements. Exceptions to this policy require the approval of the Dean of Academic Affairs.

Academic Honors. Miles College encourages high standards of academic excellence and acknowledges students’ academic achievement. Students who have completed superior course work at the College are recognized accordingly.

Honors Before Graduation

(designated at the end of each semester on the student’s grade report)

Honor Roll Term GPA of 3.0 to 3.49
Dean’s List Term GPA of 3.5 to 3.79
President’s List Term GPA of 3.8 to 4.0

Honors Convocation Program. Students who consistently maintain a cumulative GPA each academic year are recognized at a special honors program during the fall of each year for their academic achievement during the prior year. The program encourages students to maintain this scholastic standing through graduation. Students must have been enrolled full-time both fall and spring semesters and met the following criteria with no Incomplete or Unsatisfactory grades at the end of the grade reporting period.

Honors Scholar: cumulative GPA 3.0 to 3.49
Dean’s Scholar: cumulative GPA 3.50 to 3.79
Presidential Scholar: cumulative GPA 3.80 to 4.0

Students who are members of the Honors Curriculum program, students on Cohort Tracking for graduation and students who are members of honor societies are also acknowledged during the annual program.

Honors Awarded At Graduation

Valedictorian and Salutatorian Awards

These awards shall be conferred upon the graduating seniors who have earned the first and second highest cumulative quality point averages above 3.50. Students who already hold a baccalaureate degree are not eligible for these distinctions. Additionally, each candidate must have completed 100 hours in residence at Miles College, but the GPA calculation will include all hours needed to earn the degree.

To graduate with the distinctions below, the student must have acquired the above grade point averages at the end of the semester of graduation.

Honors 3.0 - 3.19
Cum Laude 3.2 - 3.49
Magna Cum Laude 3.5 - 3.79
Summa Cum Laude 3.8 - 4.0

Student Rights and Responsibility

Academic Honesty. Any student found to be dishonest in acquiring, using, or reporting information or in any other manner violating established academic codes of conduct will face a stiff penalty for the assignment/requirement in question. Students must be honest in all of their endeavors of academic matriculation at Miles College. Cheating, plagiarism, or any other act of academic dishonesty will not be tolerated. All acts of academic dishonesty must be reported. In cases where evidence is sufficient to establish that a student cheated or was otherwise dishonest in completing a test, paper, report, etc., the penalty will range from repeating the assignment to expulsion from the College.

Disciplinary Action Procedures for Dishonesty.

  1. The instructor/staff member must have substantial evidence that a student has engaged in dishonest conduct which requires action within the bounds of their jurisdiction.
  2. The instructor/staff member shall notify the student in writing of the violation and the action taken within two (2) days of occurrence.
  3. Copies of the questioned materials and letter will be sent to the division chair and the Dean of Academic Affairs and the Dean of Students (if applicable).
  4. If the conduct is beyond the jurisdiction of the instructor/staff member, a written report should be made to the Dean of Academic Affairs within five (5) days and a copy given to the student.
  5. The Dean of Academic Affairs will assign penalties for violations within five (5) days of his receipt of the report based on the number of violations committed by the individual student and the severity of the violations.
  6. If necessary, the Dean of Academic Affairs will convene the Academic Judiciary Committee to decide the case and make recommendations to the President.
  7. Penalties may include (but are not limited to) the following: Failing grade on work for which the violation was committed; dropping the grade earned in a course by one letter grade; failure of the course; suspension from the course; suspension from Miles College; or permanent dismissal from Miles College

Academic Appeal Process. The objective of the Academic Appeal process is to create and sustain an academic environment that permits students to freely express concerns or reveal complaints about their education and the educational process and to have their concerns and complaints addressed swiftly and forthrightly. Students enrolled at Miles College may register a concern or complaint about any academic regulation without any adverse actions. Concerns and complaints may include the following: the instructional program; delivery of the program; grades received; student-instructor conflict; test results; the academic advisement system, or; any other matter relating to academic affairs. Concerns and complaints will be received, explored or investigated, and responded to in a fair and timely manner. All decisions by the College are final.

All appeal requests must be in writing and made within 5 days (not to include weekends and holiday breaks) following the response of the last level of hierarchy related to the matter. Students may appeal at the level of instructor, chair, and the Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs. Decisions that remain unsatisfactory with the student may be forwarded to the Academic Appeals Committee, c/o the Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs. If the decision remains unfavorable, the request may be appealed through the Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs, to the President of the College. The decision of the President is final. A request to appeal must be processed within a calendar year from the date of infraction unless approved by the Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs.