2021-2022 College Catalog 
    Mar 27, 2023  
2021-2022 College Catalog

Student Financial Assistance

Financial Aid is granted to assist students in paying for their college education. The College strongly believes that a student should be afforded an opportunity to receive a quality education and not be denied due to the lack of adequate funds. Need is one of the eligibility criteria considered in the determination of Federal and State Aid.

General Information

Students seeking financial assistance, including scholarships and grants through the College, are required to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the Federal processing center.  The FAFSA becomes available each year on October 1st.  Students must re-submit financial aid applications each school year in order to be considered for financial aid. Applicants must include the Miles College School Code (001028) so that the College can receive the processed results. Students who are legal residents of Alabama (defined by the State of Alabama) must also complete the Alabama Student Grant Application. For priority consideration, the results from the FAFSA must be filed with the Federal Processing Center starting October 1 for the upcoming academic year (e.g. October 2021 for the 2021-22 academic year). Summer School aid applications should be received by March 1. The FAFSA should be filed as soon as possible after October 1 to ensure that a report reaches the Financial Aid Office to allow sufficient time for the office to review and assist in making needed corrections. Applications received after the above dates will be acted upon in a program having limited funding only if funds are available at the time the completed application is received.

Financial aid at Miles College is awarded to students who are in pursuit of a bachelor’s degree.  Once the requirements for the program of study have been completed, the student is no longer eligible for financial aid for that degree program.  Students are encouraged to limit the times they change their major since this can cause a student to meet or exceed the 150% or 6-year maximum time frame for which federal financial assistance can be granted.  Aid from the State of Alabama has a maximum time limit of 125% or 5 years.

The College considers all available financial aid sources when determining financial aid award packages. Students are awarded financial assistance based on the cost of attendance as set by the Institution in compliance with Federal guidelines.  The cost of attendance includes the amounts needed for tuition, mandatory fees, room and board, books and supplies, and miscellaneous educational expenses. Note: Financial aid budget increase requests require special consideration and should be received in the Office of Financial Aid at least two weeks before the beginning of each semester for timely processing.  The request must explain and document the need for the increase.

The maximum amount of any Scholarship/Grant-in-Aid awarded by the College is restricted to the parameters of the cost of attendance budget as determined by the Institution. The budget includes any combination of other forms of financial aid such as Federal Grants, Student Grant, other Institutional Grants/Scholarships, Private scholarships/grants, and other sources of financial aid available to students. Students selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education (a process by which the College must check the accuracy of the information which was reported on the application for federal aid) are required to complete the verification process before aid can be awarded. Miles College will make adjustments to your financial aid award package as deemed necessary to maintain compliance with federal/state/institutional/other resource guidelines. Revision notifications will be delivered by any standard communication method used by the College.

Unofficial Withdrawals. Federal regulations for Title IV aid require that the College document an unofficial withdrawal. It is the policy of Miles College to require faculty to verify that the student is no longer attending class and the date last attended or the last date of submitted assignments.

Federal Refund and Repayment Policy (Return of Title IV Funds). Federal rules require that when students withdraw from all classes during a payment period or period of enrollment, the amount of SFA Program assistance to that point must be determined. The amount of assistance earned is determined on a pro-rata basis. If the student completed 30 percent of the payment period or period of enrollment, he/she earned 30 percent of the assistance originally scheduled to be received. Once the student has completed more than 60 percent of the payment period or period of enrollment, the student will have earned all of the assistance.

The U. S. Department of  Education’s  Policy  (The  Return of  Title  IV Funds)  simply requires students to earn the  Financial  Aid awarded. This is based upon a formula, which permits you to earn the aid based upon the percentage of the semester completed. The policy could result in students and/or parents having to pay some of the educational costs incurred.

Student Financial Assistance Programs

Institutional Scholarships 

Scholarship awards vary in size and cover educational expenses as outlined in the scholarship’s description provided by the Scholarship Chairperson. All students who apply for or receive academic scholarships must maintain the cumulative grade point average as stated, except where scholarships are donated and allow less than a “B” average by the donor. Scholarships are not redeemable as cash but are offered by the College for the specific purpose of being applied towards the student’s direct educational cost (costs payable to the College).

The College’s Institutional Scholarships/Grant-in-Aid is awarded as supplementary funds, applied to the student’s indebtedness after all other assistance has been determined. All Institutional Scholarship/ Grant in aid funds that are in excess of the student’s direct academic expense(s) will revert to the College’s Institutional Scholarship/Grant-In-Aid Fund for allocation to other eligible students.

President’s Scholarship. Recipients who qualify must have a GPA of 3.70 and a minimum SAT score of 1160 or an ACT composite score of 24. The award covers tuition, room, and board for residential students. The amount of this award may vary depending on the student’s aid from other sources. This scholarship is renewable for up to three years and a class load of 15 hours per semester.

Dean Scholarship. Recipients who qualify must have a GPA of 3.2 and a minimum SAT score of 1020 or an ACT composite score of 20. The award amount is $5,000 and is renewable for up to three years and a class load of 15 hours per semester. The amount of this award may vary depending on the student’s aid from other sources.

Bridge Scholarship. Required High School/College GPA 2.75. The award amount is $2,500 and is renewable for up to three years. The amount of this award may vary depending on the student’s aid from other sources.

Presidential Discretionary Scholarship.  Recipients are selected by the President of the College.  The award amount varies each year and may cover tuition, comprehensive fee, and room and board for residential students.  Other aid sources are considered as well to determine the student’s award package.  Additional annual awards are at the President’s discretion.

Athletic Grant-in-Aid.  Recipients who are selected must be eligible to participate in the NCAA Division II Intercollegiate Athletic Program. The amount of these awards may vary depending on the student’s aid from other sources. Awards may cover tuition, fees,  room & board, minus any grants and institutional aid the recipient may be receiving. Recommendations for this type of aid are made by the Athletic Director and/or Head Coach, based upon the rules and regulations of the NCAA, SIAC, and the athlete’s performance in competition. A recipient will be evaluated to be considered for Grant-In-Aid renewal each year. For further information, please contact the Athletic Department.

Performance Grant-In-Aid. Recipients who qualify are those whose training or ability enables them to play in the College’s Band, sing in the Choir, or perform as a College cheerleader For additional information contact the Band Director, Choir Director, or Cheerleader Sponsor.

Employee Educational Assistance Program. Educational assistance i.e. Staff Aid is available to all full-time employees and their qualified dependents that desire to further their education at the College.  Class loads not to exceed six semester hours per semester are supplemented up to 100% for faculty and staff members who have completed one year of service at the College.  Spouses and naturally born or legally adopted children who are unmarried dependents of full-time faculty and staff members may enroll full-time or less per semester.  To be eligible to receive this supplemental assistance, federal and state financial aid applications must be filed and completed annually and a “C” or 2.0 GPA must be maintained.  Any person in default on any loan will not be eligible for Staff aid.  Since this is a supplemental tuition waiver, funded by the Institution with no cash value, employees, spouses, and qualified dependents must be eligible to receive Federal aid.  The tuition waiver will only pay the remaining balance after the federal and state aid is determined.  To apply, an employee educational benefit form must be completed at least one month prior to registration each semester and submitted to the Director of Human Resources.  Benefits are contingent upon continued employment.  If employment is terminated for any reason, ONLY the current semester will be honored. 

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Scholarship. The Birmingham Alumnae Chapter of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. gives scholarships of up to $3,000 to worthy students who have demonstrated character, scholarship, talent, and need for financial assistance. Recommendations for the awards are made by the Scholarship Committee and faculty members who are members of the sorority. 

United Negro College Fund Scholarship. Scholarship funds are available to prospective/continuing students at Miles College. Requirements for each type of UNCF scholarship are set by UNCF. UNCF personnel make the selection of the award recipient and notify the recipient and the College. 

New students applying for  UNCF  scholarships must submit an application for admission,  their academic transcripts,  and their SAT  or ACT  scores to and enroll at Miles College. In addition, each new or continuing applicant must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid listing Miles College as the recipient. Applicants must complete a scholarship/grant application form at www.uncf.org.

Army and Air Force ROTC Scholarships. Scholarships are available to students enrolled in the  AROTC  and AFROTC programs through a cross-registration with the University of Alabama in  Birmingham and  Samford  University,  respectively.  The UAB Army ROTC awards two and three-year scholarships to hundreds of students each year, based solely on merit. Qualify, and you could receive a full scholarship for tuition and educational fees, plus money for books and a monthly allowance to help cover the day-to-day costs of college. For additional details, contact UAB Army ROTC at (205) 934-8749 or email: roo@uab.edu.  Samford Air Force ROTC scholarships are extremely competitive. To ensure you are a top candidate make sure that you have the highest GPA possible, score well on the ACT or SAT, and stay physically fit to pass the Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA).  For additional details, contact the Recruiting Flight Commander, Detachment 012, Air Force ROTC at (205) 726-2859 or email det012@us.af.mil.

The Johnny Morrow Memorial Scholarship. This scholarship is donated by the Morrow family in memory of their late brother, Johnny Morrow, a Miles College graduate. The scholarship is given annually for the purchase of textbooks to two students who have demonstrated a financial need. Recommendations are made by the College Scholarship Committee.

Federal Financial Aid Programs. Students seeking financial aid assistance through the Department of Education’s federal student aid programs must apply using the (FAFSA) Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov.  Miles School Code (001028). The College administers the Federal Student Aid Programs in accordance with Federal rules and regulations. 

Federal Pell Grant Program (PG). Federal Pell Grants are awarded to assist undergraduates (1st Bachelor’s degree) pay for their education after high school. For many students, the Federal Pell Grant provides a “foundation” of financial aid to which aid from other Federal and non-Federal sources may be added. Unlike loans, grants do not have to be repaid. To determine eligibility, students must apply for a Federal Pell Grant using the (FAFSA). The amount of each Pell Grant award per term will depend also on your enrollment status per credit hour load.  Award amounts vary based on full-time, three-quarter-time, part-time, and less than part-time.  Changes in the law affect Federal Pell Grant awards, this change limits the total number of years a student may receive a Federal Pell Grant to the equivalent of six years (12 semesters = 600%).

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants are “campus-based” federal assistance, which is available to undergraduate students (1st Bachelor’s degree students) who have demonstrated a financial need. This grant amount varies up to $4000 and depending on the need, the availability of Federal SEOG funds at the College, and the amount of other aid offered. A recipient must be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant to receive this aid, provided funds are available. Funds are generally not sufficient to meet the need of every eligible student; and Pell Grant recipients with the lowest EFCs are considered first.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP). The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for students who have demonstrated a financial need to earn money to pay part of their educational expenses. A student may work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. Students are permitted to work  40  hours per week during breaks and vacation periods.  While working  40  hours per week,  students are required to save a portion of their earnings to meet the expense of the next enrollment period (e.g.. Fall, Spring, or Summer).  Federal Work Study Recipients will be notified by mail of their job assignments from the Federal Work-study Coordinator.  This is a JOB established by the College, and Work-Study payroll payments are processed on a monthly basis each semester. 

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant. TEACH grants are available to Education majors in specified academic shortage areas who agree to teach full time for at least (4) years within (8) years of graduation at a school serving a high percentage of low-income students. Recipients must maintain a 3.25 cumulative average and carry a full-time load (minimum of 12 hours).

William D. Ford Federal Direct Subsidized/ Unsubsidized Student Loan Program. These are low-interest rate loans made to students by the U.S. Department of Education to help pay for their education after high school.  Sub and unsubsidized loan amounts vary based upon the student’s academic classification, annual loan limit, and aggregate loan maximum.  Unsubsidized loans are not based on financial need. Interest is charged throughout the life of the loan and the student borrower may choose to pay the interest charged on the loan or allow the interest to be capitalized (added to the loan principal).  Federal Direct Loan borrowers taking their first loan on or after July 1, 2013, may qualify for a subsidized Direct Loan for a maximum of 150% of the length of their academic program. Subsidized loan eligibility is limited to 6 years in a 4 year program. Students reaching this limitation could receive unsubsidized loans if eligible.  Eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant must be determined before a Direct Loan is awarded. To accept and have a Direct Loan disbursed to the student’s school account, Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note must be completed at www.studentloans.gov.   

William D. Ford Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students Program (PLUS). Plus loans are made to the parents of dependent undergraduate students and are not to be confused with Graduate Plus loans. The PLUS is not based on financial need and is limited to a parent borrower for a dependent student attending at least half-time. A parent is currently defined as a person’s natural or adoptive mother or father, or the step-parent married to the custodial parent. Parents are required to pass a credit check. PLUS loans carry a fixed interest rate and an origination fee. The parent who completed the FAFSA application and has an FSA ID can apply. Certain parent borrowers may also be required to complete federal PLUS loan counseling; however, the U.S. Department of Education will provide the notification if this counseling requirement must be met.

State Financial Aid Programs. The College administers the state student aid programs in accordance with state and federal rules and regulations.  Students seeking financial aid assistance through state financial aid programs must follow the College’s policies and procedures and state aid application guidelines to be eligible. 

Alabama Student Grant Program (ASGP). The Alabama Student Grant Program was established for undergraduate, non-sectarian, secular education at independent, non-profit, post-secondary institutions of higher learning located within the State of Alabama. This is not a need-based program. Grant amounts vary from year to year based on the availability of funds, but cannot exceed $1,200 per academic year.  Students who are residents of the State of Alabama are required to apply for this Grant.  Applications are sent to those who qualify or may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office or from www.miles.edu.

Alabama Student Assistance Program (ASAP). This is a “need-based program” which provides assistance on a limited basis to Alabama residents who demonstrate a financial need. Students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid in order to receive consideration for aid from this Program. The State Student Assistance Program determines the amount to be allocated to each eligible school. Student assistance can vary in size but not exceed $5,000 per year.

State Vocational Rehabilitation Program. This program provides educational assistance for individuals with physical or mental disabilities.  Students must contact the State Vocational Rehabilitation Service Office nearest their home for further information. The College’s Vocational Rehabilitation Certifying Official is located in the Miles College Financial Aid Office. Vocational Rehabilitation benefits are to be coordinated with Title IV student aid. When the total of both aid sources exceeds the college’s Title IV student aid budget, Title IV aid and any Institutional aid will be adjusted.

Other Financial Assistance Programs

Veteran’s Benefits. VA Educational Benefits are designed to assist the VA student with meeting his/her educational costs and may result in an adjustment to Federal Title IV, Institutional and/or State aid. The College’s Veterans’ Benefits School Certifying Official (SCO) is located in the Financial Aid Office. Should a veteran or dependent of a disabled/deceased veteran need further information, contact the Veterans Administration at www.va.gov or 1-888-442-4551. Eligible federal and state veteran benefit programs include Federal Tuition Assistance (TA), Chapter 31, Chapter 33/Post 911, Chapter 35, 1606, 1607, REAP, and VA Vocational Rehabilitation.

COVERED STUDENT POLICY - Students will be permitted to attend and/or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the student provides to the College a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  • The date on which payment from the Veterans Administration is made to the College.
  • 90 days after the date the College certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

The College will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other college facilitates, or the requirement that a covered student borrow additional funds, on any covered student because of the student’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the College due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

Complaint Policy for Students Receiving VA Education Benefits. Any complaint against the school (Miles College) from a current or prospective students receiving VA education benefits should be routed through the VA GI Bill Feedback System by going to the following link: http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/Feedback.asp. The V.A. will then follow-up through the appropriate channels to investigate the complaint and resolve it satisfactorily.

The Alabama Veterans G.I. Scholarship Program is administered through the state department of veteran’s affairs and only funds state-supported institutions- Miles College is private and not eligible.

Federal and State Measurement of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Financial Aid recipients must maintain satisfactory academic progress as one of the criteria for receiving Federal/State Financial Aid. The federal requirements for making satisfactory progress are as follows:

1.0 Quantitative - the amount of course work students are required to complete which is defined as 67% of attempted/scheduled hours.

Attempted/scheduled hours include incompletes, withdrawals, repeated courses, transfer courses, remedial/developmental courses, failed & passed courses.

1.1 Qualitative - the grade point average students are required to maintain

Hours Attempted Minimum Required GPA
0-29 1.6
30-59 1.8
60-89 2.0
90 and above 2.0

In addition to the cumulative grade point average requirements indicated above, a full-time or part-time student is expected to have completed 67% of the hours for which he/she has enrolled/attempted. By the end of the second year of enrollment, without regards to the number of hours attempted or earned, the student must have earned the grade point average which is consistent with the graduation requirement of a “C.” All Transfer and Re-Admitted students must meet the minimum grade-point standards as well as complete the percentage of work required as stated in this section in order to be eligible for financial aid.

Incomplete Grades. An incomplete grade of “I” does not count towards course work completed, but is counted with course work attempted. An “I” grade is intended to be only an interim course mark. A grade of “I” must be removed by the next regular semester from the semester term that it was received.

Withdrawals. If a student officially withdraws from a course on or before the last day to withdraw for the semester, he/she will receive a grade of “W”. A grade of “W” is also counted among the scheduled hours.

Repeated Courses.  Each time the student reenrolls in a class, it is counted among the scheduled hours.  The U.S. Department of Education requires that all classes taken must be counted in the determination of the student’s positive movement towards receipt of the degree.

Transfer Courses.  All courses transferred into the College are counted among attempted/scheduled hours.

Remedial/Developmental Courses.  The U.S. Department of Education does place a limit on the length of time a student has to complete a remedial/developmental course:  the limit is one year.  The U.S. Department of Education will not pay for a remedial/developmental course that takes more than one year to complete.

Failed Courses. Courses not successfully passed (received a failing grade) may be paid for using Title IV aid as many times as are required to pass the course and eligibility still remains. Remember that Title IV aid recipients have a limited time to complete their degrees (150% of the published time for a degree’s completion [four years per current catalog]). Also that there are limits on the amount of money you are eligible to receive.

Passed Courses.  Successfully passed courses may be paid for using Title IV aid one additional time after the initial taking of the class/courses (for students wanting to improve their grade point average). 

Length of Time/ Maximum Time Limit.  Under federal regulations, students are allowed 150 percent (1.5 percent) of the published length (hours needed to graduate) of the Program. This is measured in credit hours attempted/scheduled.  All of the hours for which you transferred in, registered, and received a passing grade, failing grade, an incomplete, withdrew, and/or repeated are counted.  For instance, if an academic program requires 120 credit hours to complete the program, the maximum time frame established by Miles College for the student to complete the program cannot exceed 180 scheduled credit hours.  Since different majors may require a different number of hours to complete a program, the maximum number of credit hours required to remain eligible for aid will differ based upon the major. NOTE: Incompletes, withdrawals, and repeats may cause the student to exhaust the allotted time for completing a degree program using Federal/State Aid before he/she can complete the program of study. If this occurs, students will not be allowed to receive additional State /Federal Student Financial Aid Funds.

2.0 State of Alabama’s Satisfactory Academic Policy.  Residents of the State of Alabama who are recipients of the Alabama Student Grant are ineligible to receive such grants when the total number of years exceeds by more than 125 percent (five years/ 8 semesters/sessions for a four-year program) of the number of years required for the individual student’s course of study per the College’s catalog. There is no appeal process for the State grant program.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Determination

The Measurement of Satisfactory Academic Progress is determined at the end of the academic year prior to the beginning of the next or subsequent year.  If the evaluation reveals that a student is not making positive movement towards a degree, the student is notified of the evaluation and given an opportunity to appeal.  Financial Aid is also suspended when a student is on academic suspension or has been dismissed from the College. 

To secure Title IV Federal Aid and/or State Aid eligibility again, the student must appeal to the Financial Aid Appeals Committee on or before the Appeal deadline. 

Semester of Enrollment SAP Appeal Priority Deadline
Fall June 30
Spring October 1
Summer March 1

The student must follow these sap submission instructions:

A.        Complete a SAP Appeal form to appeal the suspension decision of your financial aid.

B.         Write a detailed letter explaining the following four things:

(1)        The circumstances that prevented you from maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress,

(2)        The specific semesters that you experienced academic problems and withdrawals,

(3)        How your circumstances have improved so that you may now be academically successful, and

(4)        What corrective action has taken place or will take place to correct the past deficiencies.

C.         Gather the appropriate documentation that supports the situation/circumstance described in your letter. All documents are the property of the Appeals Committee and will not be returned.

D.         Apply for financial aid using the FAFSA at least six weeks before the Appeal Deadline.

E.         Complete and submit SAP Appeal requirements by the Appeal Deadline to the Office of Financial Aid in person, by fax, email, or mail.  Incomplete packets will not be reviewed by the Appeal Committee and may receive an Automatic Denial.

Sap Appeal Reinstatement Request Reasons.

Medical: Personal medical problem requiring extensive follow-up or care or accident/injury requiring hospitalization and recovery.  Attach documentation from a medical professional.

Death/Illness: Death or illness of an immediate family member.  Attach medical records, death certificates, obituary, etc. 

Catastrophic Event:  Fire, Tornado, Flood, etc. Attach documentation from a disaster relief professional. 

Military Service: Call to Military Active Duty with short response time.  Attach Military documentation. 

Second Degree, Double Major, or Change of Major: Attempted more than 150% credit hours due to working on a second degree, double major, or changed major. Attach Department Head’s signed audited degree plan indicating how many hours and/or terms are required for graduation. 

Other Circumstances: Circumstances beyond your control that occurred during the term for which you lost eligibility.  Clearly state the circumstance (not listed above) in your appeal letter and provide appropriate documentation.

Students who appeal will be notified of the decision of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Committee within 30 days of the stated deadline for submitting their appeal.

If the appeal is DENIED, understand that decisions are processed on a case-by-case basis and the committee may deny any SAP appeal. The decision of the Appeal Committee is final.  If the appeal is APPROVED, the following is required:

A. Complete and sign an Academic Success Plan with the SAP Coordinator;

B. Enroll in at least 6 credit hours as prescribed by the Academic Success Plan;

C. Maintain enrollment in all courses- Do Not withdraw, drop, or receive an incomplete grade; D. Meet with the SAP Advisor for advisement as scheduled; and

E. Earn a minimum GPA of 2.0 = “C” average during the probationary term.

The Financial Aid Office will evaluate academic progress periodically to determine if the student can continue to receive Federal /State Financial Aid.

Students must understand that if these requirements are not met, that their financial aid eligibility will be terminated and they will have to use their own resources to pay their cost of attendance bill until the satisfactory academic progress standards are met.